Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter

2011 Gold Dagger Award
Finalist 2011 Anthony Award for Best Novel

Finalist 2011 Barry Award for Best Novel
Finalist 2011 Edgar Award for Best Mystery
Finalist 2010 Hammett Prize

Movie in development

If all of the above isn't reason for you to give this book a try, I don't know what is! I absolutely loved this book. The setting and descriptions are amazing! The dialogue true for 1970's small town Mississippi.. 
"Is it cause I'm white?" Larry asked.
"What?"
"Why your momma don't want you to play with me?"
"I don't know"
"She didn't tell you?"
"She just say, 'Don't you go near that boy.' Made me promise I wouldn't."
"How come?"
"I done said I don't know."
 The characters were so well developed. Even from chapter one, I had to find out what was happening with Larry and then Silas came into the picture and it just got better.  I nearly finished it in one sitting but had to get some sleep in there somewhere! 

"In the 1970s, Larry Ott and Silas "32" Jones were boyhood pals in a small town in rural Mississippi. Their worlds were as different as night and day: Larry was the child of lower-middle-class white parents, and Silas, the son of a poor, black single mother. But then Larry took a girl to a drive-in movie and she was never seen or heard from again. He never confessed . . . and was never charged.
More than twenty years have passed. Larry lives a solitary, shunned existence, never able to rise above the whispers of suspicion. Silas has become the town constable. And now another girl has disappeared, forcing two men who once called each other "friend" to confront a past they've buried for decades". from Amazon

2 comments:

  1. I love books set in the deep south! This sounds a little creepy, but I'll have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steff you should definitely give it a try. I grabbed another book by this author and I hope it is as good.

    ReplyDelete